The weather in this part of the world is steadily getting warmer, hotter even. Summer has reared its ugly head and those of us who prefer colder climes are crawling into the shade and consoling ourselves with copious pitchers of lemonade and iced tea, shaved-ice treats such as halo-halo and maiz con hielo, chilled fresh watermelon slices, and – best of all – ice cream in all manner of flavors.
I am of the opinion that the less you do to a scoop of ice cream, the better. Sometimes, a single scoop lumped onto a sugar cone or a small bowl is all you need for cooling comfort. You could also make something so simple a little more indulgent by stuffing a scoop of ice cream between two chocolate cookies for an ice cream sandwich; and there is the matter of the simple sundae…
Sometimes, the simplest embellishments are the best. You just take a scoop of plain vanilla ice cream and lump on any of the following:
- chocolate covered acai berries or pomegranate seeds + chopped nuts;
- fruit cocktail and its syrup straight out of the can (tinned peaches and lychees also work);
- a drizzle of rosewater and finely chopped unsalted pistachios;
- sugared fresh strawberries; and
- a drizzle of watermelon juice and chunks of fresh cantaloupe or honeydew melon.
Whichever you choose, it’s all about simple bliss for scorching summer days. 😀